The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk from Unbroken Condom and Harmonica-Style Oral

Aug 4, 2011

I am a gay male, 20 years old. A week ago I had (completely sober) sex with a man 15 years my senior and--as far as he knew--HIV negative. He fucked me with a condom that didn't break or slip, and he didn't even ejaculate. Before that, I had briefly sucked his dick "harmonica-style," making sure I avoided the head, for five seconds. We ended up climaxing by watching each other masturbate, but I'm worried that somehow HIV may have gotten through the condom, or that some pre-cum may have dribbled down to the base of his penis and gotten into a small ulcer on the inside of my lip. I don't remember any pre-cum, and the room was well-lit, but I'm still worried nonetheless.

People tell me these activities are low risk, but I can't understand how low of a risk. Everything happened exactly as I've described it, so what is the risk level of my situation?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your fears are unwarranted. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Harmonica-style hummers are not a risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to put these fears permanently to rest, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

Dr. Bob

please answer previous question - mouth exposure
Very simple: 5% seroconverted after 6 months?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint