Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Third Try Dr. Bob Question on Testing, Wahooo?!
Aug 3, 2011

Hi Dr Bob would love some feedback on my situation. Male university student, had unprotected vaginal sex. Few symptoms, will not get into as I know they are not that reliable. Mainly just a fungal infection and a few canker sores, as well as a bad cough. Had 2 tests- One around 60 days (approx) and a second around 115 days (approx) However i have few concerns I would like to ask about. When I had the first test done at a clinic which send the lab results away to a nearby city something was originally labelled improperly and they called and I had to return the next day to redo it. Week and a half later results came back negative and I was originally very happy until I decided to retest. Followed by my second test at approx 17 weeks. Should I be 100% confident in these results? Do labs ever mix up results or incorrectly interpret them? Am I just being paranoid or can I have complete faith in the procedures and know they did not mess up? Would the fact I have two negative results prove there was not a mix up? I live in Canada and the tests were done at a reputable lab and would love some input as I truly value your opinion. Thanks for your time I will gladly donate to the foundation, I just want to be able to put this behind me and wahooo?!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Laboratory technical and/or clerical errors are possible but in reality occur extremely rarely.

Should you be 100% confident in your test results? Yep.

Are you just being paranoid? Yep.

Would having two negative test results (60 days and 115 days) indicate there was no technical or clerical mixup? Yep!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

I have one final comment for you: WOO-HOO!!!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Nail scratching ((HIV infection)) (HIV TRANSMISSION FROM FINGERNAIL SCRATCH, 2011)
Next
148 day after elisa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.