Good Old South African Confusion

Hi Dr Bob,

You guys are surely doing a lot of good work. Unfortunately I saw this site too late! I have been reading yoru archives and answers and the information you and yoru colleagues provide is absolutely great.

I am not going to bore you with a lot of detail about my situation, and at the time of the incident I knew almost nothing about hiv.

4 weeks ago I received fellatio from a local sw and she put a very small about of her vaginal fluids on the head of my penis while sucking, and began to panic after a while. The next day I went to see my doctor who informad that there is a risk, and suggested I go onto PEP (combivir for 28 days, started within 24 hours after the...uhmmm... you know). 26 days after that I discover your website, and stopped pep

Now the questions/statements: 1. My risk of HIV is negligable? (When I called the South African aids institue they said the risk is zero. Seeing that South Africa possibly has the highest number of people living with HIV this did not fill me with confidence) 2. The fact that I took combivir for 26 reduced that from neglicble to less that negligable? What would I call that ....a millimeter from zero? 3. The lady claimed that she tested negative 6 months ago, and only practices penatration with a condom, and unprotected oral without ejaculation.... am I at zero risk yet??? 3. I was going to get a 6 and 12 week test after exposure for piece of mind, but it seems that posp pep testing should be done 6 months after I have stopped pep?

As most of the others writing to you I have a degree of anxiety, but after reading that my risk is smaller that small, that is changing very quickly.

Regards Bobby

Hello, Bobby.

1. Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low. See link below.

2. PEP for 26 days would significantly decrease your already extremely low HIV risk. (PEP, however, was not really warranted for this degree of risk).

3. Not exactly zero, but certainly close.

4. The guidelines for post-PEP HIV testing recommend an HIV-antibody test at four to six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure. Your situation didn't really warrant PEP. Consequently, a single three-month HIV test is all that's needed.

Bobby, I'm delighted you've found the information here to be enlightening and reassuring.

HIV from receiving oral sex (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2011) May 18, 2011

Anxiety, Symptoms, Mutual Masturbation, Testing
Using Saliva as Lubricant. PEP?