Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible HIV?
Aug 1, 2011

Mr Frascino, i had viginal intercourse with a women of unknown status outside a club while i was extremely drunk for i think around 5 minutes!, due to a high risk region (South Africa) i was given nPEP combivir 14h later for one month, during this pep treatment i contacted the girl and asked her to get a hiv 4th Gen duo at 3weeks post exposure, which she did and came back negative She sent me the results with std results also negative. She assured me that she had not had unprotected sex for 3.5 months before we did, however i am not sure if this is true and question weather she may be in the window period???

. After completion of pep i had a 3rd gen Elisa at one month post exposure(negative), 3month post exposure PCR HIV(negative) and another 3rd gen Elisa 4months post exposure(negative). I have extreme anxiety and depression and seem to look for symptoms of ARS ! I will do another 3rd gen Elisa in 3weeks time for my last (6 month test) to have a conclusive result. however given the above mentioned could you please share your thoughts and what the possibility is of seroconverting after the tests i have already done?? have you heard or seen this happen before??

I am concered i might have hep c and hiv therefore delaying seroconvertion, i did have a hep c test with other std checks at 2weeks post exposure(all negative) dont know what the burning sensation was but after pep and antibiotics it went away!

My docter says my results are conclusive but just for an extra mesure i should test to the South African Guidelines six months post exposure when someone has been on pep. Im considering going to a counsellor given my extreme anxiety and far amount of depression! This has never happened to me before and im also disappointed in myself in putting myself in this position!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

The published guidelines for post-PEP HIV testing recommend HIV-antibody testing at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

Your multiple negative HIV-antibody tests out to four months plus your undetectable HIV PCR at three months are extremely encouraging. I'm very confident your definitive six-month test will also be negative.

I would encourage you to follow through with your plans to consult a licensed mental health professional to help you confront and conquer your irrational fears of HIV. Your statement "I have extreme anxiety and depression and seem to look for symptoms of ARS!" is very telling! Counseling and/or anti-anxiety medications should be very helpful.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am affraid, I caught it
Next
washing clothes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.