GOING CRAZY- DENTIST WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dr. You haven't heard from me for a while as I have tried to excercise some restraint BUT...........In June I got tooth ache and HAD to visit my dentist. I had root canal and had to go back in staggered sessions. Now......I am convinced that the dental tools weren't sterilised as I am suspicious about the trainee nurse etc that was helping the dentist and a steriliser that wasn't working. Last week on a Thursday I started getting a sore throat, fever, diareah and chills- this lasted about 4 days until I was put on Augmentin and Tamiflu apparently for influenza/swine flu.I was dripping with sweat. The diareah persisted and I still feel really weak. I am convinced that I was seroconverting or experiencing ARS. I am making myself sick looking at the internet day and night. Does this sound like ARS to you? I am only now starting to feel better now after the antiobiotics are finished. Should I get tested for HIV or do you think it is a simple case of the flu? PLEASE PLEASE HELP DR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even focus on my children I am so distracted. I have made a donation!

ME AGAIN- DENTIST WORRY CONT................. (Submitted Jul 31, 2011) Sorry Dr. Frascino, so....just following my question- I have been sick for 11 days now, my symptoms started almost 3 weeks to the day from my dentist exposure. I also started with a sore throat and I forgot to mention sygnificant muscle and joint aches that actually put me in bed for 2 days. So, what do you think really?????? Thanks so much, Paola. I take what you say as Gospel so PLEASE!!!!!

Hello, Paola.

Welcome back to the forum. This worry, like your previous concerns, is once again unwarranted. Your flu-like symptoms were most likely flu! I see absolutely no cause for concern or consideration of HIV testing. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to put your irrational fears permanently to rest, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. However, it's important to note the only reason to test is to gain psychological peace of mind.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you additional good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Good luck. Be well.

Should I put my daughter on the PEP medicine?
I am affraid, I caught it