Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unprotected oral sex, HIV negative at 5.5 months
Jul 31, 2011

I had unprotected oral sex on January 20, 2011. In february I tested positive for Influenza A, and in May I had Mono. I should trust that since those tests were positive, they weren't mistaken for HIV correct? Also, about 5.5 months later (July 8th to be exact) I tested for HIV with a rapid antibody test, and the results were negative. I was relieved at first, but I recently had a sore throat and slight fever and the doctor said it was a viral sore throat. Hearing "viral" sore throat sparked my anxiety again, and now I am worried because my tongue is a whiteish color. I still cannot shake the thought that I might be one of the people with a weak immune system who takes longer to develop antibodies. PLEASE HELP! I just want to move on with my life and stop worrying :(

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Unprotected oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV acquisition. I would consider your 5.5-month negative HIV-antibody test to be conclusive.

Your symptoms at 5.5 months would not be related to HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). ARS symptoms generally manifest two to three weeks after exposure (not 5.5 months!).

There is absolutely no reason that you should consider your immune system weak. Are you "one of those people with a weak immune system who takes longer to develop antibodies"? No, of course not. You're one of the astounding number of folks who have irrational fears about HIV. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a licensed mental health professional for counseling. Irrational obsession with HIV could be a sign of underlying depression, OCD, hypochondriasis or other psychological condition.

Good luck. Remember, HIV is not your problem; fear of HIV is!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Tattoo while on PEP
Next
Possible eye exposure. PEP warranted?!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.