Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

12 weeks, 3 months and 90 days=confusing
Jul 31, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

I will be brief and hope you can clear something up for me. I am female, had unprotected sex with a male in early Feb. One night stand, I am married. Yes, shoot me now. Anyhoo, took a PCR and Elisa right around the 5 week mark which was negative. I took another antibody only test two days shy of 12 weeks- negative. Can I whohoo? Please?

Also, 12 weeks is 3 months, right?

Thanks for taking my question. Hope you are doing well and keeping cool in this crazy heat. Lots of Love to you.

T

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, T.

I would consider your undetectable PCR at five weeks and negative ELISA at five weeks and "two days shy of 12 weeks" to be conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

Yes, 12 weeks is three months. Three months could be calculated as 90 days (three months x 30 days per month) or 84 days (seven days x 12 weeks). The immune system really is not a calendar or a stopwatch. See link below that discusses this guidelines conundrum.

WOO-HOO. Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

if Dr. Bob was French... ? (SIX WEEKS VERSUS THREE MONTH HIV TESTS) Feb 10, 2009

Previous
Maybe you can help me out Doc, Marine in need of advice
Next
Tattoo while on PEP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.