The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anxiety overdrive

Jul 30, 2011

Hello doctor, i was with this guy (i'm female)since January, we've always had protected sex...always, but i've given him unprotected oral sex 3 different times.I got tested in may and it was negative but i still get anxious to the point where it's ruining my life. I get dry mouth, heart palpitations, excessive sweating and insomnia. I am still living in fear thinking that i might have caught something although my ex says he is disease free, i still think about this every hour of the day. This ruined our relationship because he thinks i'm crazy and i'm seeing a psychologist who also says it's anxiety. I have not been sexually active since being tested because of my crippling paranoia and worry. What's wrong with me doctor?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You already have stated what's wrong with you: "crippling paranoia and worry." Assuming you took your HIV test outside of the seroconversion window period, your fears are unwarranted and irrational. HIV is not your problem; fear of HIV is! Seeing a psychologist is the right thing to do. Irrational obsession with HIV can be a sign of underlying depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondriasis. It may also be a way of avoiding other more complex issues, such as sexuality, guilt, etc.

Your symptoms are anxiety related. Talk to your doctor about trying some anti-anxiety medications.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Anti Viral Drug
Rash related to seroconversion?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint