A good mental help resource and a simple question - one day I will woohoo!

Hi Dr. Bob,

I was wondering if you knew of a good resource or expert that could help me with my HIV anxiety. I want to go see a good psychologist so I can put my fears to rest and find out what's causing me all these negative thoughts, because it has been eating me up for 10 years on and off. As for the question - no matter what the exposure was to HIV...is a HIV test conclusive after 1 year post exposure regardless of HEP C, Hep B..or any other complications?

Thanks Dr. Bob and one day I am going to spread the word and want to help all these people on your board with there fears and others of HIV anxiety and get some people "peace of mind"...afterall the best doctor is the one who has been through it all because they have a level of compassion to understand where people are coming from..and battling this extreme anxiety which had dug me in a hole I want to help people like you do..Much love Dr. Bob

Thanks

Hi.

I really can't recommend a specific psychologist for you, because I have no idea from where you are writing. It probably wouldn't do much good for me to give you a name of someone in Paris or Sydney or San Francisco if you happened to live in Zimbabwe, Tasmania or Transylvania! Besides, I've learned not to give personal recommendations via this site, because if I do, it leads to an enormous influx of questions from around the globe asking for other personal referrals and recommendations. That is not what this site is all about! In general any licensed mental health professional should be able to help you address your irrational HIV fears and anxiety. Irrational obsession with HIV is often a sign of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondriasis. Folks who obsess about HIV sometimes do so to avoid dealing with more complex issues, such as guilt, sexuality, infidelity, etc.

Regarding your question, yes, a negative HIV test "after 1 year post exposure" is conclusive, regardless of "complications."

Good luck! Be well!

Super Worried Man No More! Thanks Doc!
Can you get HIV from sticking drumsticks or other objects inside your anus? (INAPPROPRIATE ITEMS SHOVED UP THE BUTT, 2011)