Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A good mental help resource and a simple question - one day I will woohoo!
Jul 30, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

I was wondering if you knew of a good resource or expert that could help me with my HIV anxiety. I want to go see a good psychologist so I can put my fears to rest and find out what's causing me all these negative thoughts, because it has been eating me up for 10 years on and off. As for the question - no matter what the exposure was to HIV...is a HIV test conclusive after 1 year post exposure regardless of HEP C, Hep B..or any other complications?

Thanks Dr. Bob and one day I am going to spread the word and want to help all these people on your board with there fears and others of HIV anxiety and get some people "peace of mind"...afterall the best doctor is the one who has been through it all because they have a level of compassion to understand where people are coming from..and battling this extreme anxiety which had dug me in a hole I want to help people like you do..Much love Dr. Bob

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

I really can't recommend a specific psychologist for you, because I have no idea from where you are writing. It probably wouldn't do much good for me to give you a name of someone in Paris or Sydney or San Francisco if you happened to live in Zimbabwe, Tasmania or Transylvania! Besides, I've learned not to give personal recommendations via this site, because if I do, it leads to an enormous influx of questions from around the globe asking for other personal referrals and recommendations. That is not what this site is all about! In general any licensed mental health professional should be able to help you address your irrational HIV fears and anxiety. Irrational obsession with HIV is often a sign of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondriasis. Folks who obsess about HIV sometimes do so to avoid dealing with more complex issues, such as guilt, sexuality, infidelity, etc.

Regarding your question, yes, a negative HIV test "after 1 year post exposure" is conclusive, regardless of "complications."

Good luck! Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Super Worried Man No More! Thanks Doc!
Next
Can you get HIV from sticking drumsticks or other objects inside your anus? (INAPPROPRIATE ITEMS SHOVED UP THE BUTT, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.