Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE HELP -Question for the second time, no reply first time.
Jul 30, 2011

Dear Doctor,

I had two sex encounters with a prostitute in Thailand ten days back. Both times it was protected sex. Before I got the condom on, she applied some gel on my penis to make it work as lubricant. One time she sucked my penis while the condom was on. We kissed gently on the cheeks and the second time we softly touched our lips. Both times before the sex, we had a shower and the last time after the sex I did not have a shower. I did not check if the condoms broke. Apparently the girl was healthy and seemed to be practicing safe sex. I came back and within five days I had a fever of 102 degrees. So far no rashes, no soar throat and swollen lymph nodes. I cannot even sleep these days thinking I must have contracted HIV. I am looking pale thinking why I did not check the condoms after the sex and did not take a shower after the second time sex.

After reading all the posts, my impression is that once you have such an encounter, your life is changed forever. You keep on testing for the whole life. I have a few questions for you and would truly appreciate if you could drop a line or two to assuage my fears. This is the SECOND time I am posting. First time I did not have any reply.

1. What is my chance of contracting HIV or/and any STD?

2. When should I get tested?

3. What tests I should do?

4. How many tests I must do to arrive at a reliable conclusion, either way.

Thanks for your time for reading this and please please respond.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

1. Essentially nonexistent, if the latex condoms were used properly and did not fail (break).

2. HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Consequently I'd advise waiting until then.

3. An HIV-antibody test (rapid test, ELISA, EIA, etc.) with a confirmatory Western Blot test, if and only if the preliminary screening test is reactive (positive).

4. Just one.

There are many medical conditions that cause fever. HIV acute retroviral syndrome symptoms generally manifest two to three weeks after exposure. The chances your fever on day 5 was HIV related are a quantum leap beyond remote.

Regarding your statement -- "after reading all the posts, my impression is that once you have an encounter, your life is changed forever. You keep on testing for your whole life" -- you should be reading my responses to those chronic testers, not just their anxiety-ridden ramblings! HIV testing is not rocket science. It's really quite straightforward. Folks who "test for their whole life" obviously do not have HIV (That's why they always test HIV negative.) Chronic testers have psychological problems such as guilt, or irrational fear, etc. Take a more careful look at the archives and my responses and I'm confident you'll understand what I mean.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I know you won't answer but.....part 4
Next
Super Worried Man No More! Thanks Doc!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.