The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you get HIV from blood in the mosh pit?

Jul 30, 2011

My boyfriend has HIV, and was moshing in the pit at a punk rock show. He fell, and was pressure cut in the lip by someone's boot stomping his face. There was much speculation that eventually led to his being banned from the venue for, "spilling his HIV blood everywhere", though he'd put a towel to his lip immediately. Is it possible for someone to get HIV in such a situation? Even if they had a previous scrape or scab, recieved one in the pit even, then got blood spilled on the cut?

Response from Dr. Frascino


HIV transmission via moshing? Hmm. Not sure if I've ever been asked that question before!

So your boyfriend was moshing in the pit but fell and then someone stomped on his face with his boot? Gosh, and I thought doing the tango in Buenos Aires was dangerous! It seems somewhat bizarre that it was your boyfriend who got eighty-sixed from the venue, considering he was the one who got stomped upon. Could he really be faulted for "spilling his HIV blood everywhere," which was a consequence of being mosh-stomped?

Regarding HIV transmission, if someone with a cut or non-intact skin comes into direct contact with fresh HIV-tainted blood, there would be a potential risk of viral transmission. The degree of risk would depend on the severity of the exposure, viral load and other factors.

Dr. Bob

They don't add up - What's wrong thrice?
G'day dr bob from Australia !!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint