The new b-tripla as you deem it

I thought I would ask you this question since I have read your articles whenever they come out and find them informative and put a joyful spin on an otherwise somber topic ...so thanks for your work! So, my question is, it seems from what you say this new b-triple differs from atripla in only one component which seems to be a substitute for the sustiva and it's companion bad side effects. My point is that this really does no good for those who are resistant and can't take Atripla anyway. We need drugs to do more and provide options to those who have resistance mutations not just mitigate side effects of a drug already in play. Are there any promising drugs in the works for say those who are resistant to all the components of atripla? We need the options to expand so that resistant folk can hang on until the cure is finally grasped wouldn't you think? Thanks for your time, info, and insight.

Hi.

Edurant (rilpivirine) was approved by the FDA in May 2011. I blogged about this new antiretroviral because so many folks have had difficulty tolerating Sustiva (efavirenz).

If rilpivirine is combined into a single pill with FTC (emtricitabine) and viread (tenofovir), the new product would be very similar to Atripla, as you mentioned in your post. Hence my nickname "b-tripla." (I'm sure the pharmaceutical manufacturers won't like the "b-tripla" moniker!) This new combination product is not yet available; however, you are correct that if an HIVer's virus has developed resistance to the components in Atripla, the new combination drug would not be appropriate to treat that virus.

As for new (hopefully improved) anti-HIV drugs, yes, there are many in the pipeline representing all the antiretroviral classes as well as new novel agents and immune-based therapies. These are new approaches to hopefully circumvent the problem of resistance. Some of these agents are farther along in the developmental pipeline than others. See link below for a series of articles and podcasts that address current drug development research.

Hang in there! Let's all be here for the cure! Okay?

HIV Drugs in Development: New Drug Overview | The Drug Development Process | Boosters | Entry Inhibitors | Integrase Inhibitors | Maturation Inhibitors | NNRTIs | NRTIs | Protease Inhibitors | Other New Drugs

HIV Risk
PEP & Bone Marrow/Immune System Damage