Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The new b-tripla as you deem it
Jul 27, 2011

I thought I would ask you this question since I have read your articles whenever they come out and find them informative and put a joyful spin on an otherwise somber topic ...so thanks for your work! So, my question is, it seems from what you say this new b-triple differs from atripla in only one component which seems to be a substitute for the sustiva and it's companion bad side effects. My point is that this really does no good for those who are resistant and can't take Atripla anyway. We need drugs to do more and provide options to those who have resistance mutations not just mitigate side effects of a drug already in play. Are there any promising drugs in the works for say those who are resistant to all the components of atripla? We need the options to expand so that resistant folk can hang on until the cure is finally grasped wouldn't you think? Thanks for your time, info, and insight.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Edurant (rilpivirine) was approved by the FDA in May 2011. I blogged about this new antiretroviral because so many folks have had difficulty tolerating Sustiva (efavirenz).

If rilpivirine is combined into a single pill with FTC (emtricitabine) and viread (tenofovir), the new product would be very similar to Atripla, as you mentioned in your post. Hence my nickname "b-tripla." (I'm sure the pharmaceutical manufacturers won't like the "b-tripla" moniker!) This new combination product is not yet available; however, you are correct that if an HIVer's virus has developed resistance to the components in Atripla, the new combination drug would not be appropriate to treat that virus.

As for new (hopefully improved) anti-HIV drugs, yes, there are many in the pipeline representing all the antiretroviral classes as well as new novel agents and immune-based therapies. These are new approaches to hopefully circumvent the problem of resistance. Some of these agents are farther along in the developmental pipeline than others. See link below for a series of articles and podcasts that address current drug development research.

Hang in there! Let's all be here for the cure! Okay?

Dr. Bob

HIV Drugs in Development: New Drug Overview | The Drug Development Process | Boosters | Entry Inhibitors | Integrase Inhibitors | Maturation Inhibitors | NNRTIs | NRTIs | Protease Inhibitors | Other New Drugs

Previous
HIV Risk
Next
PEP & Bone Marrow/Immune System Damage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.