Dr. Bob,...Porn guy enjoying his summer says hi

Hey Dr. Bob,

Just stopping in and saying hello. I hope you have had a great summer, and had the ability to have some free time. I guess I am writing to say THANKS..sometimes it takes a person a long time ( A YEAR) to accept something that should be easily acceptable and scientifically proven countless times. I keep thinking a year ago an act which lasted less than 20 minutes caused me a year of emotional grief. Was it worth it, NO.but in an odd way I am grateful as it has broadened my understanding of HIV and respect for the millions of people who are virally enhanced. To date, I have taken 17 HIV test and two HIV DNA PCRs out to 50.5 weeks and countless other blood tests. I think I was going for a record. So the point I am trying to make is this. After spending time with a psychologist, I have found that my fear isnt being HIV positive; my fear is to stop testing. I have developed an addiction to HIV testing. What would make me think that all 19 tests missed something? Nothing in reality would; however just like an alcoholic I kept saying one more and I am done or this will be the last. Just to find myself taking another test in a few weeks. What I am thanking you for is not just your replies, but your compassion and suggestions on how to cope and move forward.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks,..The world needs more Dr. Bobs in it.

Kind Regards, Porn Guy.

Hey, Porn Guy.

Welcome back to the forum -- and without a relapse or multiple new negative HIV tests to report! BRAVO! I'm delighted to hear you are seeing a psychologist and gaining insight into your problem. Compulsive HIV testing is a problem that pops up here quite frequently. The "I'm Positive I'm Positive" chapter in the archives is chockablock full of chronic testers. That group alone has probably spent an amount equal to our national debt on unnecessary, completely unwarranted, HIV tests.

Irrational obsession with a disease like HIV can be a sign of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder or hypochondriasis. Some folks may also obsess about HIV infection because it's easier than dealing with more complex issues, like guilt, anxiety, sexuality or infidelity. I'm thrilled you have found a way out of your worried-well hell and "testing addiction." I'll report below a link to some of your previous posts in the hopes that your story and its happy (negative) ending will serve as an inspiration to those still struggling, still worrying and still testing.

Be well, Porn Guy! Stop by anytime.

Porn Guy Relapsed ... Jan 28, 2011

Clean up after death of HIV positive suicide
Weird PEP question