Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hsv 2 positive hiv false positive (SENSITIVITY VERSUS SPECIFICITY, 2011)
Jul 24, 2011

I was diagnosed with hsv 2 in April, my IgG was 1.84 & my IgM was 1.48. I was tested back in February for HIV 1/2 & i received notification that it was negative. When i was at the doctors yesterday, come to find out the 1st test came back hiv type 2 responsive & the western blot was negative, i had them test me again. I have read online that it is possible that herpes can cause a false positive. My questions are is that true? & also which test is more accurate & sensitive the ELISA or the Western Blot? Is it possible that it was an early infection & the Western Blot is not sensitive enough to pick up the infection at that time? Could it be possible that i am hiv +? I started a relationship soon after this test when they told me i was negative & did not tell me about the 1st reactive test, just told me the test was negative, i even have a paper that says hiv 1/2 results normal from when i had that test. The relationship that im in is monogomous & he is neg for hiv & herpes so i know neither one of these would come from him. I am very nervous & cant stop thinking about this.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

A reactive HIV-antibody screening test (ELISA, EIA, rapid test, etc.) coupled with a negative confirmatory Western Blot is considered a negative HIV test.

There are many potential causes for a false-positive HIV-antibody screening test. These include nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies that could be induced by an infection other than HIV or pregnancy. You can read more about this in the archives of this forum.

The ELISA test is more "sensitive"; the Western Blot more "specific." See link below.

Your fears about early infection are not warranted. Your HIV test is negative, and I'm confident any follow-up HIV testing will confirm your negative status.

Good luck with your new Mr. Right!

Dr. Bob

False Postitive (FALSE POSITIVE TESTS, SENSITIVITY VERSUS SPECIFICITY, 2010)Jan 9, 2010

Previous
Mutual Masterbation and scared!!!! Please answer!
Next
Thank you ..... Just a last set of question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.