Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husband cheated on me
Jul 23, 2011

Hi Dr. I hope all is well My husband cheated on me a year ago. He got unprotected oral sex from a sex worker. We are working things out. He has tested two times a month for the last year he has had over 30 rapid tests . We have not had sex for a complete year when we finally did I got sick with a head cold two weeks after. My concern is I read about a French study that said that rapid tests really don't work well. I am very nurves and so is he. Can you give me your opinion on our situation

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Oral sex carries only a very minimal risk for HIV acquisition. The "over thirty" ( over 30!!!) negative rapid HIV tests out 12 months from your hubby's extramarital hummer are conclusive, definitive and extremely excessive. Are you trying to get him into the Guinness Book of World Records? A single negative rapid HIV test (yes, just one!) outside the HIV seroconversion window would be considered definitive. Over 30 negative rapid HIV tests out 12 months is pure insanity. Exactly what part of "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding. I don't know what "French study" you are referring to, but I can assure you 30 rapid tests cannot possibly be wrong! You obviously are having trust issues. I would recommend that your husband stop testing and that you consider couples counseling to rebuild trust. HIV is clearly not the problem here, okay?

Dr. Bob

Previous
High viral load continued
Next
Slightly Different PEP Window Period Question (Will Donate!) (PEP AND THE HIV SEROCONVERSION WINDOW PERIOD, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.