Famous in Australia Dr Bob. Donation sent. (ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay from Abbott, 2011)

Hi Dr Bob, I hope you can answer a few questions. I sent a donation last night to your foundation. I think you are doing such a great job. And admire how you go out of your way to help people out all over the world.

Anyway I just have a couple of questions if you please spare a moment for me.

I am from Australia. I called my lab to find out what the test I had was called and they said its called HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation. I asked if they use the ELISA and they said no that is really old.

Just a few questions if you could please clear them up for me. 1. How accurate is this HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation test?

2. What would the window period be for this test?

3. Would you know what screening tool would be used on the HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation test? (since its definitely not the ELISA)

4. Is the ELISA a more accurate test?

G'day, Mate.

Me famous down under? Really? Cool! Oz is one of my very favorite travel destinations. I'll be back in Sydney in October.

1. Extremely accurate.

2. The median detection time was seven days earlier than third generation enzyme immunoassay antibody tests (ELISA). The range was 0 to 20 days. Despite the ability of this test to detect HIV infection earlier, the current U.S. guidelines still recommend a three-month test for a conclusively negative result. This test will help detect HIV-positives sooner than older tests, but for a definitive HIV-negative test you'll still need to wait until the three-month mark.

3. The ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay from Abbott consists of a highly sensitive chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay. (Well, mate, you asked!) It is specific for the detection of the HIV-1 p24 antigen (the protein on the HIV virus that triggers production of specific anti-HIV antibodies) as well as antibodies to HIV-1 groups M and O and antibodies to HIV-2.

4. Nope, they are both quite sensitive and accurate. The fourth generation ARCHITECT combo test has the advantage of being more sensitive and also of detecting HIV-1 p24, an early indicator of infection.

Cheers, mate.

Message to worried... (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2011) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2011)
Terrified And Being Consumed With Guilt.