Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Famous in Australia Dr Bob. Donation sent. (ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay from Abbott, 2011)
Jul 22, 2011

Hi Dr Bob, I hope you can answer a few questions. I sent a donation last night to your foundation. I think you are doing such a great job. And admire how you go out of your way to help people out all over the world.

Anyway I just have a couple of questions if you please spare a moment for me.

I am from Australia. I called my lab to find out what the test I had was called and they said its called HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation. I asked if they use the ELISA and they said no that is really old.

Just a few questions if you could please clear them up for me. 1. How accurate is this HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation test?

2. What would the window period be for this test?

3. Would you know what screening tool would be used on the HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody - Abbott Architect 4th generation test? (since its definitely not the ELISA)

4. Is the ELISA a more accurate test?

Response from Dr. Frascino

G'day, Mate.

Me famous down under? Really? Cool! Oz is one of my very favorite travel destinations. I'll be back in Sydney in October.

1. Extremely accurate.

2. The median detection time was seven days earlier than third generation enzyme immunoassay antibody tests (ELISA). The range was 0 to 20 days. Despite the ability of this test to detect HIV infection earlier, the current U.S. guidelines still recommend a three-month test for a conclusively negative result. This test will help detect HIV-positives sooner than older tests, but for a definitive HIV-negative test you'll still need to wait until the three-month mark.

3. The ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay from Abbott consists of a highly sensitive chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay. (Well, mate, you asked!) It is specific for the detection of the HIV-1 p24 antigen (the protein on the HIV virus that triggers production of specific anti-HIV antibodies) as well as antibodies to HIV-1 groups M and O and antibodies to HIV-2.

4. Nope, they are both quite sensitive and accurate. The fourth generation ARCHITECT combo test has the advantage of being more sensitive and also of detecting HIV-1 p24, an early indicator of infection.

Cheers, mate.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Message to worried... (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2011) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2011)
Next
Terrified And Being Consumed With Guilt.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.