Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS symptoms and testing
Jul 22, 2011

Hallo doctor

I am really aware of being some sort of rare case. 14 days after my exposure I had ARS symptoms including high fever, muscle pain, fatigue, because I thought my exposure was safe enough I did not tested. After 5 month I realized white tongue and lost about 12 pounds. I immediately went testing and the result was shock for me I tested for HIV by elisa ab/ag and bwr test for lues the result was negative for both stds. I checked the net and went for follow up test after 6 months the result was even bigger shock HIV negative again and liver enzymes test was in normal. Right now I have confirmed oral thrush and swollen nodes in my neck. I am still scared almost pretty sure about false negative. I was big smoker and heavy smoker right now in permanent stress with anxiety. I used to little overweight but not much with lack of sport. Not alcoholic but consumed a lot of beers almost every friday. Is it anyhow possible that my life style could cause false negative antibody results?

Thank you very much for your opinion, I fell really doomed.

Have a nice day

Ales

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Ales.

"Some sort of rare case?" Nah. Actually you're just another extremely common case of a "worried well." You may be "pretty sure about (your) false negative" HIV tests, but I'm absolutely certain your tests are accurate and your negative status is genuine! If you have difficulty accepting the irrefutable proof you are HIV negative, I would advise you seek the help of a licensed mental health professional to help you cope with your irrational fears of being HIV infected. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. Your negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

That said, you do have a significant health problem that requires attention: smoking. I urge you to quit. If you don't, cigarettes will kill you in a very painful and undignified fashion.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PCR DNA & ELISA test
Next
Thank you Thank you Thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.