PCR DNA & ELISA test

Hello Doc,

I was diagnosed HIV+ on Jan 12th this year. Before that, our baby was born on Dec,31st 2010. My wife did ELISA test on Jan 13th , result was negative. The baby did PCR DNA test on Jan 25th ,result was negative as well. Last time i had intercoursed with her on november last year.

She did test again in May this year and negative.

1. did the PCR DNA test on my baby before she turned 3 months accurate?

2. will my wife need to do another test after May let say the end of this month? FYI...she is breastfeeding to the baby until now.

Thank you.

Hello.

Both your wife and baby are definitively HIV negative.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Yes, a negative PCR DNA on an infant would indicate the baby is not infected. This is to be expected in your case, because your wife is definitively HIV negative, and if the mom is not infected, there is no chance for mother-to-child HIV transmission, even if the father is HIV positive.

2. No; no additional HIV tests are warranted. A negative HIV-antibody test taken six months from the date of last potential exposure (unprotected sex) is considered conclusive.

You're welcome. Congratulations on your new addition!

New Diagnosis, very high viral load
ARS symptoms and testing