Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High Risk Exposure
Jul 22, 2011

Hello there. Well 2 weeks ago I did a huge mistake. I had unprotected receptive anal sex with another man, I am a male. The guy assures me that he's clean and well I am terrified, every night I cry myself to sleep, as of yet I haven't had any fever. I do have ulcers on my bottom lips 2 of em on each side. A week after exposure I went to get tested for any STDs the clinic drew blood and pee sample. The guy works in a hospital and he talks to me everyday to tell me that I am ok...but this anxiety will not leave. I have a rash on my forehead...its red and flat like I hit myself...could this be due to the extreme stress and anxiety? Do rashes come with fever or alone? All help is appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Unprotected anal sex is risky business! Choosing to have unsafe sex does put you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently testing is warranted. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. HIV testing recommendations are based on level of risk, not the presence or absence of symptoms.

Since your Brokeback Mountain buddy talks to you daily and claims to be HIV negative (a more appropriate term than "clean"), why not ask him to get a rapid HIV test? If he tests negative, your HIV-acquisition risk would be reduced to the remote possibility that your buddy has been recently infected and is still within his seroconversion window (HIV infected but not yet producing detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood). You'll still need your three-month HIV test, but you'll at least be able to take some comfort from knowing your HIV-acquisition risk would be remote.

Regarding stress and anxiety, yes, they can cause all sorts of symptoms.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anxiety, HIV and Lymph nodes
Next
med student in need of reassurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.