Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctor Frascino, I need your help...
Jul 20, 2011

Hello Dr. Frascino,

I hope you are doing well. I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days, but this is my first time asking a question. I'm really scared about a recent incident, and I would appreciate your advice. Here is my situation:

The other day I performed oral sex on another man. There was a large amount of precum that went inside of my mouth. His main ejaculation, however, was done outside. I'm very worried because my oral health is not good right now. I have swollen and bleeding gums.

I had a baseline HIV oral swab test yesterday (which was negative). I went to the city clinic today, and the nurse practitioner that I saw consulted with a physician, and they both decided that PEP would NOT be advised for me. The nurse practitioner said that my risk was "infinitely low." I was told the risk from the PEP would greatly outweigh any potential benefit I'd get from it.

Do you agree with the NP at the city clinic? I understand oral sex is very low/no risk, but is it really always that cut and dry? I don't understand why my risk would be "infinitely low." If there is potentially infected fluid (precum) and an open access to my blood stream (bleeding gums), wouldn't that put me at a significant risk?

I'm a student, and this fear is paralyzing me now. I can't study or do anything. Please bring me back to my senses.

Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

I agree PEP is not warranted. We don't know the HIV status of your buddy, and he did not ejaculate in your mouth. These two facts decrease your HIV-acquisition risk. Gum disease can increase the HIV-acquisition risk. However, all things considered, your HIV-acquisition risk remains extremely low and consequently PEP would not be warranted. A single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that you need. Well, that and a visit to the dentist plus flossing daily!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV worry
Next
Easy peezy one please?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.