The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Having some trouble

Jul 20, 2011

Hey Dr. Bob,

Your site has been a huge help and I have learned so much about HIV during my past few days on the site. Thank you for all that you have done.

So, about 2 weeks ago I had unprotected oral sex (insertive and receptive) as well as some frotting. He did not ejaculate in my mouth or while I was sitting on top of him. We did not have anal sex.

About a week later I got pretty tired, my muscles felt weak, my throat was sore and I felt like I had a flu coming on. I didn't have a headache and my head did not feel warm, so I did not take my temperature, however I am pretty sure I did not have a fever. A few days later I developed a rash on my trunk (pink, flat, small bumps) that covers my chest and my shoulders. I do not have swollen lymph nodes. It has now been approx 2 weeks and the rash is still there, my throat is still sore but my other symptoms went away.

Any words of comfort? I will be sure to get my tests at 6 weeks and 3 months.

Thank you so much in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Words of comfort? Sure. I'll try. There are two general concepts that should help:

1. Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV acquisition.

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

The statistical odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this encounter.

Good luck with your upcoming HIV test.

Dr. Bob

32 HIV antibody test
Help me Obi Bob Kenobi, you're my only hope...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint