Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV exposure while getting HIV test? Forgive me if I sound stupid...
Jul 20, 2011

After 13 whole weeks of worrying, it was finally time to get tested after having sex with a girl in college in which no condom was used. I was a wreck walking into the free clinic. The test giver/counselor was helpful, and during our "talk before the test" notified me that he was HIV positive. They used the OraQuick test, and used it in the finger-prick method. He pricked my finger, stuck it in the vial, and 20 minutes later, he tells me I'm negative. Here is the thing and I didn't think about it until after I had left the clinic: When he pricked my finger, he didn't wear gloves. I didn't notice any cuts on this mans hands, but for hypothetical purposes, lets say he had a small cut, and the finger prick, which obviously has blood exposed from your finger since you are bleeding, came in to contact with each other somehow... is there a risk involved in this situation? I know it may sound far-fetched and I admit, I have a worry/anxiety problem when it comes to HIV b/c it scares me so bad because I lost my sister to it. Please doc, let me know... I've donated before and am willing to do so again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Your risk of contracting HIV during your HIV OraQuick test is completely nonexistent. If HIV were acquired that easily, it would have wiped the planet out long ago. Your fears are unwarranted. In light of your irrational fears surrounding HIV, I would recommend you seek counseling with a licensed mental health professional. The sessions should help you not only to confront and conquer your fears, but also to process your sister's death.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly welcomed.

Regarding your negative 13-week HIV test: WOO-HOO!!!!

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOO-ing, okay?

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR. BOB!!! Hiv and Genital herpes nothing in the archieves about this PLEASE READ!!!!
Next
Apology to all

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.