Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your new best Friend (again)
Jul 19, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob,

I posted recently and you ansered my question. Just a reminder I received unprotected oral sex from an unknown male that lasted maybe 5 to 10 seconds. I even answered the questions I asked for you. I made an apointment to get tested this Thursday which will be the 4 week mark. For the last week and then some I have had really bad tension headaches (back of neck hurts constantly), sore muscles and joints. My arms, wrist, ankles, shoulders and elbow area. Most of my lymph nodes hurt but not like the one near my elbow. It hurts and is swollen. If you extended your arm stratght out with you thumb up it is located right at the top just past my elbow (ouch), the meaty part. My other arm is the same but not as bad. It really hurts like heck. I can hardly sleep because my arms hurt so bad. I also have pain in my other lymph nodes but not as bad as in my arms. I have had a constant sore throat and unable to talk to much without losing my voice. Some lose stools have been there pretty often too. I really do not want to be put in your nut-job category. My hands wrist/knuckles all hurt too. I keep leaving work early because I can't stand the stress/anxiety this is all causing me. Honest Dr. Bob I am not making up the symptoms even though I am very much stressed out. Just to mention I have had no fever or rashes during this time frame. I have lost about 15 pounds but mostly from not eating - no appetite. 1:) Does any of this sound like ARS. 2:) Is my 4 week test coming up this Friday worth anything. Maybe a yippy-skippy but not a WOO-HOO? I sit here alone and tearfull. I have had no fever or rashes.

Please answer when you get a chance. I was planning on contributing to your foundation when I tested in 12 weeks and got the official WOO-HOO but I am going to donate now becasue I appreciate what you do for all of us worried souls. Thanks again. Still your number one fan as long as you will have me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, New Number One Fan.

I have not changed my assessment: "The odds are a quantum leap beyond astronomical that you did not acquire HIV from a 10-second blow job...Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV...Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected." See link below.

Regarding your new symptoms over the past week, I should point out that the swollen lymph nodes associated with HIV/AIDS are generally painless. You may not want to wind up in my "nut-job category," but unfortunately you're heading in that direction. You state several times in your post that you are "stressed-out." I absolutely agree. Irrational fear of HIV, stress and anxiety can all lead to very real symptoms. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about management of the anxiety. Counseling and/or anti-anxiety mediations may well help. Your physician can also check out any persistent symptoms you are having to ascertain if there is a physical cause.

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Nope.

2. Any negative HIV-antibody test would be considered encouraging, but you'll need to wait until the three-month mark for a conclusive WOO-HOO-able result (even with a "yippy-skippy" or even a "yabba-dabba-do" from earlier negative test results).

Relax Max. I'm confident all will turn out well, including you!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's urgently needed and warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

3's the charm? I have read at least 250 post... Jul 9, 2011

Previous
Transmission Risk and DNA PCR Reliability - PLEASE RESPOND THIS TIME!
Next
Confused, will donate again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.