Jul 16, 2011
Hi Dr.......How reliable is this test? Are there any other symptoms that can cause you to test positive? My boyfriend tested positive while I tested negative. We have unprotected sex with each other all the time. How can this be? Really need some answers..... Thanks in advance for answering
| Response from Dr. Frascino
A positive OraQuick Advance test is considered a preliminary result. It requires a more specific confirmatory test, such as a Western Blot, to ascertain if it is a true-positive result.
A negative OraQuick Advance test taken outside the HIV seroconversion window period is considered a true negative and no further testing would be required.
What this means for your situation is:
1. Your boyfriend has a preliminarily positive HIV-screening test. He needs a repeat test. If it's still positive, a confirmatory Western Blot test should be done automatically. If both the preliminary test (rapid test, ELISA, EIA) and the confirmatory test (Western Blot) are positive, your boyfriend would be diagnosed "HIV positive" and should then contact an HIV specialist for a complete evaluation and ongoing management.
2. If your boyfriend's follow-up test or his Western Blot confirmatory is negative, then he is HIV negative.
3. If your boyfriend tests HIV negative and your screening test is negative, you're both HIV negative. However, I'd still advise using latex condoms to prevent STDs, including HIV, going forward. Better safe than sorry, as the old expression goes!
4. If your boyfriend is positive, you have a negative HIV test as a baseline, but will need follow-up HIV-antibody tests at both the three- and six-month marks from the date of last exposure (unprotected sex). Latex condoms for all penetrative sex would be imperative.
You can learn more about HIV-diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum and elsewhere on this site. Have a look!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Cough After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Herpes After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Itchy Balls After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Rash After Touching Vaginal Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Can Mucous In Stool Be An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.