Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Test
Jul 13, 2011

I am 22 years old bisexual. I had unprotected anal sex with my male partner which I was in insertive position about 40 days ago. Me and my partner had unprotected anal sex twice these last 3 months. We had sex quite often, twice or three times a week and I was often exposed with semen in any part of my body including my anus and genitalia. I was realized that his HIV status is unknown and I checked yesterday at hospital using Rapid HIV method, the test came out negative.

I have no symptom of acute HIV at all, no fever, no rash, myalgia, etc. And for the record, I have quite bad medical record, and quite easily get sick. But the medical adviser advice me to check back in three months since I was also exposed with my partner's semen although no penetration nearly 4 days before the test, which she said that also put me in a risky condition.

All I'm experiencing now is anxiety, fear, and stress because of the risky sex I did. I even can't sleep just to think about it. Can I at least feel safe for now on with the result?

Best regards, Just a curious guy who chose a wrong thing to be curious at.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi, Curious Guy.

Unprotected sex, gay or straight, puts you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Since you obviously know your sex-buddy well, why not ask him to get a rapid HIV test? If he tests negative, your HIV-acquisition risk would be limited to the remote possibility that he has only recently become infected and is still in his HIV seroconversion window period (HIV positive but not yet producing detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood).

I agree with the advise you were given. You'll need an HIV-antibody test three months or longer from the date of last potential exposure. HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered definitive.

Finally, whether you're bisexual, straight as a lawn dart or gay enough to bottom for Liberace, you need to practice safer sex techniques. You can read about these in detail in the archives of this forum and elsewhere on this site.

Good luck. Get informed. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
REALLY living with it
Next
CD4 fell from 525 to 265 in 8 months (CD4 count versus CD4%, 2011)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.