The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jul 12, 2011

Please help! I am very worried. I am HIV negative but my husband is HIV positive. For three years we have been trying to reach the insemination conception. There was no success. This year in February we went to IVF/ICSI. I am now 19 weeks pregnant. We are both overjoyed. Before IVF I went to the test and I was HIV negative. Otherwise, my husband is on the HART therapy and PCR is negative to him for years. Can you tell me is there any danger for the baby and whether there is a risk to transmit the virus to her? Whether the virus can survive in the sperm cell or its genetic code? if the baby after the birth of an HIV test? I am very grateful for your response.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Hopefully you've been working closely with an HIV-knowledgable obstetrician/gynecologist as well as your husband's HIV specialist during this entire process.

Semen (ejaculate) contains HIV; however, sperm does not. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) should be safe, as it involves an embryologist taking a single sperm and injecting it directly into an egg outside the body (in vitro fertilization, IVF) and then implanting the fertilized egg into the woman.

That your husband is on HAART and has an undetectable quantitative HIV PCR RNA viral load significantly decreases any chance for HIV transmission.

As long as you remain HIV negative, so will your baby.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

please help :( can't take this anymore
HIV, Mutual Masturbation, Symptoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint