Uni-Gold only tests for HIV-1, do I need to test for HIV-2 as well

Hi Dr. Bob,

35 days ago, I had an potential exposure. A stripper gave me an unprotected handjob using her saliva as lubricant. I am not sure if there was blood in her saliva. The handjob was pretty rough and I had got genital herpes (but I wasn't having an outbreak at that time). Plus, I got some "window-period symptoms" starting from the next day of the exposure.

Thus, despite my knowledge of handjob being low-risk activity, I went for a rapid HIV test at the 28-day mark at a CDC-recommended facility. They used Uni-Gold test and the result came back negative. I thought I could get the expected relief off of this test result but my conversation with the Doctor there clouded my mind.

The Doc there said I would need a test at 6-month to make sure I don't have HIV. I also learned that Uni-Gold doesn't test for HIV-2.

Wondering if I need to get tested at 6-month mark and for HIV-2, I searched the web for answers and found this website. This has to be the most comprehensive, informative and friendly website out there (Great job, Dr. Bob!!!). However, I couldn't find a previous post that matches my exact questions.

So here are my questions for you, Dr. Bob. Given my situation, do you think I need to get tested at 6-month (per the CDC-recommended "doctor") OR 3-month mark (commonly suggested), if I want make sure that I don't have HIV? Should I test for HIV-2 as well? What kind of tests do you recommend for testing both HIV-1 and HIV-2?

Finally, I would love to donate to your foundation to help out but I don't know how. Could you advise on this issue as well?

Hi.

Your HIV-acquisition risk from getting a hand-job from a Bouncing Bertha at the local Badda Bing is essentially nonexistent, even if she used her saliva as a lubricant and you have a history of genital herpes (but no active outbreak).

"Symptoms" that begin "the next day" would not be HIV related. Symptoms caused by HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) generally manifest two to three weeks after exposure, not the next day.

HIV testing is not medically warranted for this sexperience. If, however, you want to get tested for peace of mind, you should get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. Any FDA-approved HIV-antibody test will suffice. Testing for HIV-2 or repeat testing at six months is not warranted. (These tests are, however, readily available.)

Thanks for your kind comments and support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

HIV test
Weird testing situation and other concerns!