The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recent Infection or longer?

Jul 11, 2011

Hello I am a 40 year old man from USA but living overseas presently. I recently received an HIV positive result. My previous test less than one year ago was negative. My CD4 account was already low at 385 - does this indicate a very recent infection? Further, i need to tell my current partner - any advise on how to do this and does this mean he is also infected if I am infected? We do not use a condom and he is a bottom. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


If you had a negative HIV-antibody test "less than one year ago" and are testing HIV positive now, you can assume you were infected sometime in the interim. CD4 counts can drop precipitously soon after infection, before the body's immune response kicks in. Often there is some degree of immune recovery after seroconversion is complete.

Regarding disclosing your status to sexual partners, this is never easy. It's best to be honest and very direct. It's also worth pointing out that even though your partner has been exposed, it doesn't automatically mean he's acquired the virus. Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV infection. Your partner will need HIV-antibody testing now and at three and six months from the date of last exposure.

Good luck to you both. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

help with anxiety
i feel horrible, i need help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint