The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

help with anxiety

Jul 11, 2011

I had a risky encounter almost 6 months ago. Around 6 weeks after my exposure i developed swollen lymph nodes in neck, armpit and groin (confirmed by physician and ultrasound scan). The nodes are painless and about 2 cm long. I took an HIV test at 13 weeks after my exposure, negative. My doctor said it must be some infection an that it should go away soon. Well, it didn't. My nodes are still there same size. I took a CBC test showing normal values and also tested negative for mono. I have an appointment with my physician next week because this doesn't look very normal to me.

I'm still very worry about HIV. I'm conscious about my negative result at 3 months, but I can't find anything else to relate my nodes to than HIV. It would be just to much of a coincidence to have this right now after a risky sex encounter.

Would you recommend me to take another HIV test??? just to be sure? would you take one in my case?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The vast, vast majority of swollen lymph nodes have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. If your doctor cannot identify the cause of your swollen nodes and you continue to worry about HIV, you could get a six-month repeat HIV-antibody test primarily to gain peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Continued pennis irritation after massage parlor experiance - Donated little 50$s to your trust
Recent Infection or longer?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint