Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Even safer sex" methods with HPV...have not seen a good post on this anywhere.
Jul 11, 2011

I've scoured the internet but found no professionals with any thoughts on this topic. So here goes.

I know a girl who has HPV. She and I have wanted to have full penetrative sex, but I am obviously scared to catch the virus...we all know that even skin-to-skin contact with infected areas can transmit the virus and all. My question, though, is very specific: What if we took the following methods of precaution?

First, she cleans the area. Then I cover her genitalia and thighs with a non-porous material (sheet of latex, plastic sheet, saran wrap etc) with a hole (for condom) through it. I will wear a condom, (which perhaps I could secure with soft cloth tape to plastic wrap over my genitalia as well, and even wear boxers, to prevent her fluids from contacting me. Obviously we would lube up the surfaces for comfort and friction prevention.

I know it sounds a little involved and impractical, but I'm pretty resourceful and think I could construct it pretty well with minimal effect on our sex.

Would this have any decent chances of preventing me from catching HPV?

I have searched high and low over the internet but have never found anyone proposing or evaluating this scenario.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

WOWZA, I don't think the astronauts on their way to the International Space Station have that much protective gear on! And, um, you think this latex body suit will have "minimal effect" on your nookie? Hmm. OK, if you say so. (Let's hope your girlfriend has a saran wrap fetish.)

To answer your question, if you have no skin-to-skin contact with an infected area, you will not contract HPV.

As for searching high and low over the Internet and never having found anyone proposing or evaluating this exact scenario, well, somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Confudes, classical symptoms and negative, even one year after risk
Next
Continued pennis irritation after massage parlor experiance - Donated little 50$s to your trust

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.