The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Negative PCR Test

Jul 9, 2011

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I tested negative on a rapid antibody test (in a hospital, bloodtest) five weeks and two days after a minor risk. About 37 hours later, I had a PCR Test done for HIV and Hepatitis. I just got the news that they both were negative. Is it all over and can I just WOOHOO now (and get a shrink for my extreme Aidsphobia, guilt complex, and my unability to let doctors comfort me) or should I still go for the traditional 6 and 12-weeks antibody tests, just in case the virus went into hiding exactly into those 36 hours?

Thanks for your answer!

Response from Dr. Frascino


The current guidelines continue to recommend an HIV-antibody test three months or more from the date of exposure for a definitive result. You don't mention exactly what your "minor risk" was; consequently, I cannot advise if HIV testing is warranted or not. You also didn't mention what type of PCR test you had done. Only one is FDA approved for HIV-diagnostic screening: the APTIMA HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Assay.

Whether or not you choose to retest, I'd certainly recommend you follow through with your plan to see a shrink to help you confront and cope with your guilt, "AIDS phobia" and other issues.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

3's the charm? I have read at least 250 post...
Sorry to ask again but please i need help

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint