Negative PCR Test

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I tested negative on a rapid antibody test (in a hospital, bloodtest) five weeks and two days after a minor risk. About 37 hours later, I had a PCR Test done for HIV and Hepatitis. I just got the news that they both were negative. Is it all over and can I just WOOHOO now (and get a shrink for my extreme Aidsphobia, guilt complex, and my unability to let doctors comfort me) or should I still go for the traditional 6 and 12-weeks antibody tests, just in case the virus went into hiding exactly into those 36 hours?

Thanks for your answer!

Hi.

The current guidelines continue to recommend an HIV-antibody test three months or more from the date of exposure for a definitive result. You don't mention exactly what your "minor risk" was; consequently, I cannot advise if HIV testing is warranted or not. You also didn't mention what type of PCR test you had done. Only one is FDA approved for HIV-diagnostic screening: the APTIMA HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Assay.

Whether or not you choose to retest, I'd certainly recommend you follow through with your plan to see a shrink to help you confront and cope with your guilt, "AIDS phobia" and other issues.

3's the charm? I have read at least 250 post...
Sorry to ask again but please i need help