Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3's the charm? I have read at least 250 post...
Jul 9, 2011

Dr. Bob

This is the third time I have written you this week. I took another day off from work. Seems like the only thing I can do now is sleep, read post from on here, and wait.

I will ask you a question and even answer for you. I have read so many post now I think I know what you are going to say.

Backgroud: I am male and had unprotected oral sex from another unknown male for maybe 5 to 10 seconds two weeks ago from today. I stopped him stop and no futher sexual action took place. I just took my pee pee and left. Three days later up through today I have had diarreah, sore throat and losing my voice, and a stiff neck, maybe tender glands (total of 11 days now). I went to the clinic on day 5 and got hiv tested and other std testig. The hiv test was negative which I knew would be because I got tested three years ago and have not had sex since that time. I was negative for all other stds as well which I got the resluts from yesterday. I would like to also mention that I have had no fever or rash during this time period.

Questions: 1) What are my chances that I did not contract HIV? 2) Do you think this is ARS?

Your answer would go something like this:

Answer 1: Symtoms are never an good indicator if you have HIV or not. What you did has a very little risk of contracting HIV. I would recommend a single test at 3 months. What it sounds like is that you are having anxiety issues.

Answer 2: Not sure how to answer this one for you. What I am hoping to hear form you is that this does not sound like a typical ARS symtoms.

So Dr. Bob how close am I to answering my own questions? I am sorry I could not inject you great since of humor or some personality like you do on your replies.

I am so hoping you answer this for me. I need something to lift my spirits. I have a long three months ahead of me. I promise to let you know the results.

Your new number one fan.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Answer #1: I absolutely agree! Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible. Your problem is not HIV, but rather fear of HIV.

Answer #2: Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). ARS symptoms generally manifest two to three weeks after HIV infection, not three days!

I was particularly struck by one piece of information in your history. You haven't had sex in three years??? WOWZA. Dude, what's up with that? I would spontaneously combust if I had to abstain for three weeks, let alone three years! No wonder you're a bit depressed!

So you answered your own questions quite accurately. BRAVO! Rather than lying around in bed for the next three months worrying, why not come to work here? I have about a gazillion questions crammed into my inbox just begging for a personal response!

New Number One Fan, try not to worry. The odds are a quantum leap beyond astronomical that you did not acquire HIV from a 10-second blowjob!

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please Answer This Time - Seroconversion, Combivir as PEP, broken condom
Next
Negative PCR Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.