gum bleeding and advanced stage of AIDS

Hi, I just met a wonderful guy last week and I sort of suspected he was HIV+, but during our first conversation he said he was living the hospital due to gastric problems. After that we had our first date and we deep kissed for one hour or so. Then, when things started to get more intimate, he told me he was HIV+ and if I was ok with that. I just said I needed time to think about it. Nothing else happened. Now, I'm really scared because my gums bleed often due to excessive brushing and flossing. And on that particular day I had a minor bleeding 2 hours before we kissed. I'm freaking out I might have contracted HIV. This torment is taking over my life, I can't sleep, eat, or even go to work. I got to a point of going to an emergency room to get PEP. Am I overreacting? Is there any possibility I might have been infected. The guy seemed to be in an advanced HIV status. He keeps calling me to try to comfort me, saying that there's not even the remote chance I have been infected. He also said he has been undetectable. What does that mean? I'm on my second day of PEP. Side effects are really unpleasant. Should I continue to take the cocktail?

Hello.

You ask "Am I overreacting?" The answer is yes, you are. Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible.

"Undetectable" means your buddy is on effective combination antiretroviral therapy (HIV medications) that have driven his HIV viral load to undetectable levels in the blood. This greatly reduces any risk of HIV transmission.

PEP is not warranted, and I would advise you discontinue it. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark (primarily to gain peace of mind).

Should you need a second opinion, you could check with a local HIV specialist physician. He will take a more detailed history and advise whether PEP should be continued or not. See link below.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q213507.html

Re: HIV Exposure through Needlestick Injury?
FINALITY!!!!---NEED AN EAR AND YOUR CLOSURE!!!--HAVE A "Franklin" to donate!!!