Re: HIV Exposure through Needlestick Injury?

I went to the ER immediately that night (that's how I got the PEP). I spoke with HR at my company and reported the incident. I had bloodwork taken to establish my baseline. I am going at 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months for HIV testing. I followed all the correct steps - I'm just looking for your take on the matter. I've been safe and careful in every way my whole life (I'm a 27yo/male/hetero), so this is something that's keeping me up at night. Thanks again.

Hi.

Thanks for the follow-up! I'm delighted you followed the protocol for potential occupational exposure. The only thing I would add is that I recommend that anyone who has had an exposure (or potential exposure) significant enough to warrant PEP be followed by an HIV specialist physician. See link below. An HIV specialist can provide a more complete evaluation. PEP begun in an ER may not really be warranted once a more detailed evaluation and risk assessment is performed. I believe this would have been the case in your situation.

Good luck! Be well.

(PEP AND THE NEED FOR HIV SPECIALIST, 2011) Feb 6, 2011

HIV Exposure through Needlestick Injury? Jul 7, 2011

masturbation
gum bleeding and advanced stage of AIDS