HIV and crohn's or ulcerative colitis?

Hi I was diagnosed with HIV in 2002 and in 2003 diagnosed with irritable bowel they could never determine if it was crohn's or ulcerative colitis. In 2009 my colon was removed and my rectum was left for a future reversal. I now have a stoma bag.

Well since October of 2010 fistulas started showing around my rectum, and inflammation in and around my anus has flamed up quite severely. I then went for a procedure where they put rubber bands through the fistulas to keep it open and drain the infection, this was done six weeks ago. three weeks ago I was put on azathioprine and I am on ARVs now for about a year. My last CD4 count was 475.

Now I'd like to know is it not better then to remove the rectum than try and treat what they now think might be crohn's in and around my rectum and anus.

Hi.

I am not a gastroenterologist and therefore not qualified to advise which treatment option would be best for your Crohn's disease.

From an HIV perspective, you appear to be doing reasonably well on antiretrovirals with a CD4 count of 475.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

concerned about HIV
unclean medical equipmemt