Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Truvada as PEP = 4th of July Fireworks?
Jul 7, 2011

Dear Dr. Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to read our questions, slap some sense in those of us who need it, and to educate us when sometimes all we need is a slap in the butt with a music sheet.

My story is as follows: Last Friday i got way drunker than humanly possible. I ended up with a good friend at a local bathouse. Between blacking out periods, i remember getting a room, bringing someone i sort of know, kissing, performing and receiving oral (no condom) without ejaculation, and getting rimmed. Alcohol prevents me from remembering everything that happen, but I know i did not engage in receptive anal sex since i'm vers and i quite know how bottoming feels a few hours after. I came to my senses and stopped the hook up session, walked out of the room and met up with my friend. he started hooking up with a guy, i briefly performed oral but stopped since he wasn't wearing a condom. spent the next couple of hours trying to sober up, in my room, not doing much. ( I know, at a bathouse, private room, no company. sounds lame, but that's ok).

I woke up the next day and dealt with a massive hangover. After doing much thinking and analyzing my potential risks, i decided to go the ER to talk it over with a doctor. I'm fairy certain that there was no receptive anal sex, but i can't be sure there was insertive on my part. After some time he told me he did not believe PEP would be warranted on my situation because I don't know he would be HIV (which is on my favor), there was not exchange of semen, and i wasn't a bottom on the scenario. I told him my gums bleed from time to time when i brush them and that would be my only concern, and since i was still within 38 hours of the incident, i would rather take PEP as a precaution. He prescribed Truvada for 28 days.

Do you agree with his assessment about my low-risk scenario? I'm now on day 4, taking each pill to the minute. I haven't had any side effects, and instead of worrying like crazy, i feel I'm doing good in taking the extra step to protect myself. Do you believe i should worry?

I have learned my lesson about drinking and hooking up, and i'll be more careful as to what i do, when i do it, and how much vodka/crans are in between.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and hope you had a wonderful 4th of July.

best,

alex

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Alex.

". . . Slap in the butt with a music sheet"??? Hmm. OK, if you say so.

I agree with the ER doctor's assessment: PEP is not warranted.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Medical Student in Sub-Saharan Africa Follow-up
Next
Bat$hit Crazy-Fluffernutter Nuts-Overly Anxious or WhooHooable??!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.