Truvada as PEP = 4th of July Fireworks?

Dear Dr. Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to read our questions, slap some sense in those of us who need it, and to educate us when sometimes all we need is a slap in the butt with a music sheet.

My story is as follows: Last Friday i got way drunker than humanly possible. I ended up with a good friend at a local bathouse. Between blacking out periods, i remember getting a room, bringing someone i sort of know, kissing, performing and receiving oral (no condom) without ejaculation, and getting rimmed. Alcohol prevents me from remembering everything that happen, but I know i did not engage in receptive anal sex since i'm vers and i quite know how bottoming feels a few hours after. I came to my senses and stopped the hook up session, walked out of the room and met up with my friend. he started hooking up with a guy, i briefly performed oral but stopped since he wasn't wearing a condom. spent the next couple of hours trying to sober up, in my room, not doing much. ( I know, at a bathouse, private room, no company. sounds lame, but that's ok).

I woke up the next day and dealt with a massive hangover. After doing much thinking and analyzing my potential risks, i decided to go the ER to talk it over with a doctor. I'm fairy certain that there was no receptive anal sex, but i can't be sure there was insertive on my part. After some time he told me he did not believe PEP would be warranted on my situation because I don't know he would be HIV (which is on my favor), there was not exchange of semen, and i wasn't a bottom on the scenario. I told him my gums bleed from time to time when i brush them and that would be my only concern, and since i was still within 38 hours of the incident, i would rather take PEP as a precaution. He prescribed Truvada for 28 days.

Do you agree with his assessment about my low-risk scenario? I'm now on day 4, taking each pill to the minute. I haven't had any side effects, and instead of worrying like crazy, i feel I'm doing good in taking the extra step to protect myself. Do you believe i should worry?

I have learned my lesson about drinking and hooking up, and i'll be more careful as to what i do, when i do it, and how much vodka/crans are in between.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and hope you had a wonderful 4th of July.

best,

alex

Hello, Alex.

". . . Slap in the butt with a music sheet"??? Hmm. OK, if you say so.

I agree with the ER doctor's assessment: PEP is not warranted.

Medical Student in Sub-Saharan Africa Follow-up
Bat$hit Crazy-Fluffernutter Nuts-Overly Anxious or WhooHooable??!