The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jul 5, 2011

Hi Dr. Bob,

I had a risky encounter about a month ago (unprotected vaginal sex) and about 3 weeks later, I developed brief muscle spasms (lasted about a day), stiff neck, lower back pain, tingling/burning sensations in my feet, legs, arms, face, around the mouth and lips. Last week I had excrutiating burning sensations all over. But this week, the pain has subsided tremendously. Occasionally, I have an "icy hot" sensation in my feet, but that's about it. Do these symptoms sound related to HIV-related GBS? Thanks so much! A donation is coming your way!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your symptoms are not consistent with Guillain-Barré syndrome (HIV related or otherwise!).

Your decision to have unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently an HIV-antibody test would be warranted at the three-month mark. (HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive.)

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation ( It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Addition:Toys with ladies - could you please check the risks ? (SEX WITH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, 2011)
Medical Student in Sub-Saharan Africa Follow-up

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint