Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SOS, Unknown HIV Status. An indian nurse pleads for help
Jun 29, 2011

Respected Sir, I am a male nurse, working here in rural india.Just this morning when I was assisting my surgeon during an abscess drainage procedure,the following took place. Sir as the surgeon was injecting the local anaesthetic in the dermal area of the affected ankle, he was doing so with a bit of force.And even as he had pushed a little bit of it, due to the force he was using, a little quantity of the same, just sprayed backwards, and onto our hands. Sir,there is a chance that when the anaesthetic jutted out, a tiny quantity may have got into one of my eyes.Sir the patient's HIV status remains UNKNOWN, I am not very sure if the stuff that got into my eye was only the content of the syringe, or was it admixed with patient's blood!! I spoke to my superior and enquired as to whether PEP For HIV was warranted, he was unsure. Sir, please assess my risk and let me know as early as possible if PEP is Indeed warranted. Sir I am extremely scared and panic stricken. Please Help

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

PEP would not be warranted for such a minimal potential exposure.

If possible, you could ask the patient if he would consent to an HIV test. If negative, you'll be able to relax considerably.

If you remain worried, you could get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark primarily to gain psychological peace of mind. I have no doubt the result would be negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oooops!!! server error!
Next
false positive elisa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.