100% preventable

Hi, I keep wondering why people are saying that hiv is 100% preventable. If there is a medical accident that isn't preventable. What happened to you wasn't preventable. I am not in the medical field and I have encountered other people bleeding when I am out and about. A grocery clerk cut herself and bled on my groceries which I carried to my car. People have bloody hang nails or are the skin picker type and then they shake your hand or fit your kid for ballet shoes. (just another happening) Kids have scrapes themselves up all of the time. Then there is the whole open wound thing. Who doesn't have scrapes or breaks in their hands? If a person actually uses them they get "wounds" from working. It is just very concerning and I don't understand why articles act like someone bleeding outside the medical area is so uncommon. It frightens me. Obviously. The average person walking around doesn't use universal precautions when things like that happen. In fact, I don't even know what to say to someone when they are bleeding. Low risk doesn't mean no risk at all. Like you, I hope and pray for a cure and a vaccine everyday. Thanks Dr. Bob for everything. I just don't want to have to be scared all of the time anymore. Maria

Hello.

HIV disease is 100% preventable. By that we mean we know exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. Certainly there can be freak accidents, such as my occupational exposure or a condom malfunction, but if everyone took appropriate precautions, we could stop HIV cold in its tracks!

Maria, you shouldn't be scared of HIV! It's actually much harder to get than most people realize. HIV is not out to get you! Your concerns about scrapes, etc. are unwarranted.

Help for my client
Chances of seroconversion after 8 weeks: update