Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

100% preventable
Jun 29, 2011

Hi, I keep wondering why people are saying that hiv is 100% preventable. If there is a medical accident that isn't preventable. What happened to you wasn't preventable. I am not in the medical field and I have encountered other people bleeding when I am out and about. A grocery clerk cut herself and bled on my groceries which I carried to my car. People have bloody hang nails or are the skin picker type and then they shake your hand or fit your kid for ballet shoes. (just another happening) Kids have scrapes themselves up all of the time. Then there is the whole open wound thing. Who doesn't have scrapes or breaks in their hands? If a person actually uses them they get "wounds" from working. It is just very concerning and I don't understand why articles act like someone bleeding outside the medical area is so uncommon. It frightens me. Obviously. The average person walking around doesn't use universal precautions when things like that happen. In fact, I don't even know what to say to someone when they are bleeding. Low risk doesn't mean no risk at all. Like you, I hope and pray for a cure and a vaccine everyday. Thanks Dr. Bob for everything. I just don't want to have to be scared all of the time anymore. Maria

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

HIV disease is 100% preventable. By that we mean we know exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. Certainly there can be freak accidents, such as my occupational exposure or a condom malfunction, but if everyone took appropriate precautions, we could stop HIV cold in its tracks!

Maria, you shouldn't be scared of HIV! It's actually much harder to get than most people realize. HIV is not out to get you! Your concerns about scrapes, etc. are unwarranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Help for my client
Next
Chances of seroconversion after 8 weeks: update

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.