Understanding HIV Results

Hi Dr. Frascino,

I had a routine check up and took the HIV test a in February with my boyfriend because we are getting serious and are looking to plan a future together. I am 23 and have never had unprotected sex, blood transfusions, or used drugs.

My results included a Positive EIA and a Negative Western Blot for HIV-1 test. My doctor told me that it meant that I am HIV Positive and that my results were unequivocal. Then he told me that clinically it means that I am negative and I need to be abstinent. He ordered me to take a HIV-2 test and a viral load. My HIV-2 test was completely negative and I had a zero viral load.

I was honest and told my boyfriend the results and he was extremely nervous and upset and worried. He got tested and his EIA was negative and he needed no more tests.

I did some research online and found that if I have a negative western blot that it means I am negative. I spoke with an HIV counselor with the CDC and NIH and they all said not to worry I am negative. I am confused because I want to have the correct information. I am thinking on changing doctors because of the scare because he is not explaining anything to me. My doctor wants me to get another viral load in 2 months. I love my boyfriend to pieces and we are plan to get married in the future. But, I would never want to put his health at risk because I? love him so much.

Please help!

Hello.

The HIV counselor, CDC and NIH are, of course, correct, and your dimwit doctor is shockingly wrong. He must be suffering from a condition we refer to as crainiorectal inversion. That means he has his head stuck up his butt! He should be reported to the medical board for quality assurance. His advice to you borders on malpractice! What do you mean you are "thinking of changing doctors"??? You need to fire that incompetent nincompoop immediately. You are definitively and conclusively HIV negative.

A Good Suggestion for your Site Search
Weakly reactive test followed by negative viral load test