The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal intercourse

Jun 29, 2011

I have been having protected anal intercourse as the inserter with someone who did not tell me they were positive. There was one time where the condom came off. So, one time un protected. Recently I discovered this person was positive, but when I confronted him about the medication, he admitted yes he had it, but it was extremely small risk, and that he had to take 2 special tests to even show up as positive. I know I need to get myself tested ASAP, but how scared should I be right now?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unprotected anal sex with someone confirmed to be HIV positive is risky business. The CDC's estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with a positive partner is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. If your bottom-buddy is on combination antiretroviral therapy that has driven his HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels, your risk would be significantly reduced. If you had taken post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) within 72 hours of exposure, your risk would have been decreased. (It is not helpful if more than 72 has lapsed since the time of the exposure.)Regarding HIV testing, you'll need an HIV-antibody test at both the three-month and six-month marks. Being scared won't help, nor will it change the result of your HIV test.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

A Good Suggestion for your Site Search

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint