The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

minor surgery gone wrong

Jun 26, 2011

Hello Doc, lovely Dr Bob

You must be busy so I thought of trying again. Hope this okay and I would be grateful for a response if it is possible. Thanks Dr Bob for reading this and helping this worry wart.

I had a recent minor surgery to remove a facial boil. It was done in an international hospital in China. But the surgery seem to have gone wrong where I lost a lot of blood and I worry if either the blood of the doctor or nurse could have come in contact with mine. My wound was also not dressed properly and I noticed specks of blood at the back of my T-shirt when I returned home. No idea how it got there. It has been more than 2 weeks and I have worrisome symptoms of high fever (38.2) nausea, body aches, sore throat and aching glands on my neck and armpits.

a. Based on how this minor surgery was conducted where there was an open wound and blood to blood transmission is possible, am I at genuine risk of HIV or Hepatitis?

b. Do I need HIV testing or am I making too much of this event?

c. Can my symptoms be just anxiety and not worrisome?

Your worry wart fan, Fergie

Response from Dr. Frascino


a) Extremely unlikely! Just how clumsy do you think your surgeons were?

b) Anxiety doesn't produce "high fever." I'd suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Cant let it go.Please Please help,donated generously.Will donate again
What's wrong with me?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint