Strep Throat and Kissing = Transmission?

Hi Doctor Frascino,

I recently had a make out session with someone of unknown status which of course i know has low risk of HIV transmission. However, the day after i developed strep throat and got very ill. Now i know saliva has a very low transmission rate but what if my throat's natural defense system was compromised because of the impending strep throat, would that increase my risks of possible transmission of HIV? Should i be worried? I feel like i'm going nuts over this.

Thank you doctor, this site and your responses are a god send. I cant thank you enough for what you do. Donation is on the way!

Hi.

"Should I be worried?" Nope! Your "impending strep throat" would not increase your HIV-acquisition risk. However, I should mention the chances are fairly good you passed your strep infection on to your buddy while playing tonsil hockey.

If my reassurance isn't sufficient for you to put your unwarranted worries permanently to rest, you could get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to gain psychological peace of mind, even though HIV testing is not medically warranted.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that you are and will always be HIV free.

Be well.

Physical Therapist / Mommy Concern
One Big Mistake!