Physical Therapist / Mommy Concern

Hello Dr. Frascino, I am a P.T. practicing in Colorado. I treated a patient approximately 2 years ago and he had denied HIV/STD on his health history. I treated him for a wrist injury and performed a lot of soft tissue work on his wrist and forearm for about 8 visits. I recall that he had scabs on his arms and stated that his dog scratched him. I didn't think twice about it and I didn't wear gloves. The other day the patient returned for care with another issue as a result of muscle atrophy from AIDS. My question is, should I be concerned that I didn't use gloves while treating this patient? I frequently have "cracks" on my finger tips from washing my hands 30+ times a day. I don't "think" I touched any "liquid blood" per say but cannot recall for sure. My main concern is that I was breast feeding my son at the time and for about a year after. I know to use Universal Precautions with all patients, because you never know. However, I did not and am wondering if I should get tested at my next MD appt. My husband just thinks I am be neurotic.....Your suggestion? Thanks, Worried Mommy

Hi.

I agree with your hubby, and yes, you should use universal precautions with all patients. From a medical standpoint HIV testing is not warranted. However, if my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your fears, get a single HIV test to gain psychological peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

re: visions
Strep Throat and Kissing = Transmission?