Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe practices after blood splash
Jun 25, 2011

Hey Doc,

My wife is a nurse and was splashed last week with HIV positive blood, with a few drops to the face - one landing on her eye and one landing on her lips. It was cleaned right away and she was put on medicine - Kaletra and one of the others. She will be on those meds for 4 weeks and then tested after 3 months.

Although the risk is very small that she is positive, I am worried. I know you have said safe sex is fine, but I am worried about still getting HIV while using a condom. Should I wait this month out and let the medication do its thing? Or will there be just a good chance to get it from her after the medication as there would be to get it now? She doesn't want to give up her sex life, but I don't want to get HIV either.

Help needed!!

Thanks -

Dale

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Dale.

When, if and how you have sex with your wife while she's on PEP is up to you, not me. Her HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low based on the information provided. Post-PEP testing guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at four-to-six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Consequently using latex condoms for insertive sex would carry an essentially nonexistent risk, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and didn't fail. If insertive sex is too anxiety provoking for you, despite my reassurance, you could continue to have a satisfying sex life with massage, frottage, masturbation, oral sex, etc. Finally it's worthing remembering the chance your of your wife being HIV infected is a quantum leap beyond remote. You should be supporting her through her ordeal of taking PEP with extra TLC, not treating her like a biohazard.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Possible Worried Well-Please Help
Next
precautions taken by hiv+ive cont..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.