Sanitary pad splash In eye

Dear dr Bob, I am a nurse from Australia and honestly in freaking out I don't think there are any questions like mine in the forums. I was at work last night and went to the toilet to change my sanitary pad, when I dropped my sanitary pad in the special bin I felt something go in my eye and I was worried in case it was a drop of blood off someone else's pad. This toilet is in a corridor and staff and visitors use it. I washed my eyes out with water for injection. I feel as if I am being paranoid because I was wearing glasses at the time but splashes can still come into the eye at certain angles through the side of the glasses. I am very scared generally of catching HIV but I am not sure this time whether in need PEP? It would be fantastic if you could advise me of what action to take, the fear of HIV has taken over my life literally every day whenever I go out I feel things going into my eyes or mouth and then proceed to worry about it much like I am with this exposure although I think this is different, please help,many thanks from a scared nurse.

G'day, Nurse from Oz.

"I feel as if I'm being paranoid...." I agree, you are being overly paranoid! PEP is definitely not warranted. As this happened at work, you should report the potential exposure to occupational health. They would take a more detailed history, document the incident and advise if any follow up or testing is warranted. From the information provided, I would offer reassurance only, but if you remain "freaked out," a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark could be obtained to provide peace of mind. The result would undoubtedly be negative.

Be well.

TERRIBLY Worried Guy asking for the 5th Time
Nicotine's effect on HIV ELISA test (SMOKING AND HIV TEST RESULTS, 2011)