Immunosupressed - How long should I test? WOOHOO for the 4th!
Jun 23, 2011
Greetings Dr. Bob, Thank you for considering my question. I'll try to keep this short. March 23 I got some menstrual blood on my hand. I didn't have any visible cuts or sores, maybe chapped skin. Washed with soap followed by alcohol rinse. Started having symptoms wk 3. Headache, 17# wt loss, swollen nodes, lost my voice, just felt sick. No fever or rash. I've read your site enough to know HIV can't be diagnosed by symptoms so decided to test. At 4ks - DNA RT PCR with HIV 1/0/2 Abs- negative. At 8 wks tested with HIV 1/0/2 Abs-negative. I'm taking my 13 wk test today. My concern is I have rheumatoid arthritis and take Mobic, Plaquenil and Methotrexate. I assume I'm somewhat immonosuppressed. 1) Should I test beyond 13 wks due to meds? 2)Are HIV 1/0/2 ICMA and HIV 1/0/2 EIA acceptable tests? That's what is offered by Labcorp. I hope you can answer soon. Going on vacation for 4th of July and would like to resume unprotected "WOOHOO"ing with spouse!
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. No. Your undetectable DNA RT PCR is not antibody dependent and therefore would not be affected by immunosuppression.
2. This is probably a moot point considering you had an undetectable PCR, but most likely your ICMA and EIA would be accurate, despite any immunosuppressive effects of your medications.
I see absolutely no reason to withhold unprotected WOO-HOO-ing with your spouse! By the way, just getting blood on your hand is not an HIV risk. HIV can't permeate intact skin. Consequently your HIV-acquisition risk was really a non-risk!
Have a good vacation!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Severe Chest Pain And Vaginal Bleeding
- Are Purple Bumps On Side Of Mouth Cheeks A Sign Of Hiv?
- Can Hiv Positive People Receive Hair Transplants?
- Can You Infect Someone With HIV Days After You Are Infected?
- Countries Who Require Hiv Tests For Working Visa
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.