Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Some karma please
Jun 23, 2011

About 4 yrs ago, and for one year, I had several experiences (20-30) with CSW in North America, CSWs as in massage "therapists". I am male hetero. Most all were restricted to mutual masturbation and fingering. Always cognizant of hand condition, nothing more than day to day scrapes. Never open (bleeding) wounds, burns, sores etc. No STDs. On 3 ocassions had protected vaginal intercourse, no breakage in any but one had the condom slip but the glans was still covered. Of course I must assume there was always some hand to genital and vice versa contact as part of the act. Never any symptoms for whatever that is worth. After having done quite a bit of reading on reputable sites, including The Body, CDC etc, I assumed my actions were non risk and no testing has been done. These actions have stopped since. Lately, with the 30 yr anniversary headlines, I began thinking again about my actions and a new set of "what ifs" has emerged in my mind. My question to you is simply whether you can re assure me that my interpretation of risk is valid and that I should put this concern behind me Would be grateful for any advice you provide. If nothing else, I want to say that if everyone read your website once, we would have a much more educated population on HIV which no doubt would help us all. Thanks Rick

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi, Rick.

I would agree masturbation, fingering and protected vaginal sex would have an essentially nonexistent risk for HIV transmission, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and didn't fail (break) and that the skin on the fingering fingers was intact. It is, however, also recommended that sexually active folks with multiple partners have routine STD screening periodically (once a year or so). Your 20 to 30 sex workers would qualify as sexually active. Why not get a rapid HIV test for peace of mind? The results are available within a few short minutes. It will put your "what if-ing" permanently to rest. I'll gladly send my good-luck karma that your result will be negative (WOO-HOO-able!).

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV TEST
Next
Multiple tests

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.