HIV from Rapid Test

Hi Dr. Bob,

I would love love if you could allay my fears about this issue as they are tearing me up and costing me so much sanity.

I recently got an HIV Rapid Test where they prick your finger for the blood sample. The test was negative (yay!) but now I can't help but think that I had some form of exposure to HIV in the clinic since I had this newly pricked wound. I touched the door handles as exiting and their was someone who tested immediately before me.

Is there any, even remote, chance that some of the blood from the person who tested before me could have been on any surfaces that then touched my freshly wounded finger?

Please please provide me with an explanation if any of this is possible.

I would appreciate it so so much and would be happy to donate to your foundation as I am in awe of the work you do and your incredible wealth of knowledge.

Thank you.

Hi.

Your fears are irrational and unwarranted. You cannot acquire HIV from getting a rapid HIV test, even if you touch door handles and other objects in the clinic. If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Frevinsakes!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very warmly appreciated. By the way, you are not alone in having these completely irrational fears. I've answered many questions identical to yours over the years. You can check these out in the archives. Have a look and stop worrying, OK?

Good luck. Be well.

HIV from Toilet floor
precautions taken by hiv+ive