Atripla for PEP for one year or more?

I have a friend who claims that his doctor put him on Atripla for PEP after exposure to HIV. He claims that after a month, the insurance company continued to pay for the pills, so he continued to take it. For a year or more before he quit. He claims that he did not have any follow up tests other than the 4 week test (which often returns a false positive according to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm).

He claims that he had no side effects and that he is still negative, but I think that he is in denial. Can you provide any information to substantiate his claim, or does it sound fishy to you as well?

I want to approach him to discuss the issue, but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi.

How could I provide any information to either substantiate or refute his claim? I'm an HIV specialist, not a lie detector machine.

A full course of PEP is 28 days. It seems unlikely any competent doctor would refill a PEP prescription for a year.

Post-PEP HIV-testing guidelines recommend follow-up HIV-antibody tests at four to six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

Does something sound fishy to me? Yep! Your buddy may be in denial, if he's virally charged. Alternatively he could be HIV negative and just have a really incompetent physician!

If I have HIV can I have a pet? Brazil
Worried about latest encounter